Monday, June 27, 2011

Musical Interlude~Hippie Backsliding

Some days I am amazed by what's on youtube--I lost this album many years ago, but there is probably nothing that says counterculture more for me than Jimmy Spheeris' 1971 Isle of View. So enjoy a trip back in time with two cuts that can only be called classic, with lyrics even.




I am the Mercury
I cannot go anymore to the marshes
where the gatekeeper smiles at the poisons that he's made
for my heart belongs to the one on the mountain
where the doves build their nests in the sun-ripened glade
for I am the mercury - light of the morning
looking for shelter in this thunder and this rain
and you like some windmill weave light where its storming
your love like a potion for the hunger and the pain
Let it rain
I have been bought, I have been sold in the city
I've dined with the demons and I drank of their fear
but you, you have known and waited in silence
come cradle my heart in a homecoming tear
and we are the mercury - light of the morning
looking for shelter in this thunder and this rain
and he like some windmill weaves light where its storming
his love like a potion for the hunger and the pain
let it rain - let it rain
let it rain on the mountain
let it rain




The Nest
come to me now - dove on your shoulder
white flame of love burns on your breath
I am ready for flight
oh my wings are so ripe
come wake me
take me from the nest
the scarlet ships sail sacred oceans
where tides of love have laid to rest
quiet water by night
oh my sails are so ripe
come wake me
take me from the nest
and weave your beauty
fire lacing thru me
trip the light and know that I am waiting for you
unlock the treasure of stolen pleasure
breathe in the light that blinds the pain that we once knew
wake me
take me
come to me now - dove on your shoulder
white flame of love burns on your breath
I am ready for flight
oh my wings are so ripe
come wake me
take me from the nest
from the nest


sigh...good times.

Here's the Isle of View website where I found the lyrics



7 comments:

  1. a rather haunting blend in voice and instrument in the first one...def a word bender when it comes to lyrics...really like the second...had not heard these i dont think...they came out before my conception so...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, they weren't ever mainstream and now they're old. It scares me that they're older than you, though Brian. *checks for pacemaker* Glad you enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Different, Not even mainstream folk from the time that I know of. But then I was pretty busy during those days when he was making his chops so it doesn't surprise me I missed this singer/songwriter at all. I was reading on the blog for a bit...check itunes for his entire catalog except the album that was released 16 years after his passing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much, I enjoyed both!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are new to me, and they are splendid. Thanks, Hedge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. MY pleasure. Glad to see them being enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So...while I do claim to have been born an era too late, I do pride myself on my music collection...and these aren't in it! Thanks so much for the share...and putting me on a new mission! Loved them both (and yes...YouTube is AMAZING!lol)

    ReplyDelete

'Poetry is an echo asking a shadow to dance' ~Carl Sandburg