Monday, April 30, 2012

Off the Shelf Archive~April



Now that the poem a day challenge for April is mercifully past, it's time to change out the Off the Shelf page. I've been wanting to do John Donne for a long time, and am too tired to go hunting for new and exciting poems, so I'm posting an old favorite, in my opinion, perhaps one of the three or four best love poems ever written, A Valediction: Forbidding Mourning. 



You'll find it here on the Off the Shelf  page.



Meanwhile, last month's Emily Dickinson selection is below for a final read:

Bumble Bee on a Flower.

Three Short Poems by Emily Dickinson



To Make A Prairie

 To make a prairie it takes a clover and one bee,—  
One clover, and a bee,  
And revery.  
The revery alone will do  
If bees are few.



Wild Nights – Wild Nights! 

Were I with thee
Wild Nights should be
Our luxury!
Futile – the winds –
To a heart in port –
Done with the compass –
Done with the chart!
Rowing in Eden –
Ah, the sea!

Might I moor – Tonight –

In thee! 
 
The Heart Asks Pleasure First

The Heart asks pleasure first,
And then, excuse from pain;
And then, those little anodynes
That deaden suffering;   
And then, to go to sleep;       
 And then, if it should be
The will of its Inquisitor,
The liberty to die.



  ~ all poems by Emily Dickinson






Image:Bumblebee on a Flower, by Adam Freidin, on flick'r
Shared under a Creative Commons 2.0 Generic License

6 comments:

  1. I'm with you on Valediction being in the top 5 poems ever. The most profound example of metaphysical poetry!

    Love the little bumblebee too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice...the donne poem was very nice...the emily poems though left me with quite the smile...the scond made me laugh a bit...much needed on a cold and wet monday...each a little treat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for reading Kerry & Bri. Yeah, Emily's style is all her own.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great poems Joy! Thanks for sharing these classics which otherwise pass me by. It's a joy to read.

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, Hank. It gets me to crack my books open once a month, anyway.. ;-)

      Delete
  5. To Make a Prairie just cracks me up.

    ReplyDelete

'Poetry is an echo asking a shadow to dance' ~Carl Sandburg