Saturday, October 16, 2010

Entry Level Announcement

Welcome to Verse Escape. It's a textual mindscape of the past and possibly the present and future where I intend to dredge up poems and written reflections from the sludge of decaying notebooks and let them see the light of electronic display.


I have a bad habit of writing at length on the flimsiest of pretexts, and may be unable to resist so doing from time to time, but the main purpose of this blog is to scissor out past poems and occasional journalizing from dozens of musty, disintegrating notebooks ranging over a thirty year period and slap them into one spot. If you don't like reading poetry, you may be in the wrong place. If you do,or if you're curious to see if you might, I hope you'll find something of at least passing interest here.

Final Caveat: Verse Escape is an attempt on  my part to create a spot where I can preserve things I've written in the past that would otherwise be lost on my death. It's not an attempt to surprise the world with any new thing, or intended to generate any particular reward other than the act itself. In that spirit, literary critiques are not solicited, but serious comments of impression and reaction, positive or negative, will always be welcome.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, congrats on your new site and new mission.
    I too am thinking of starting a poetry blog. But different from you -- I can't write poetry nor read it with any depth. Yet, I want to taste it so ....

    I would make one suggestion toward your blog that would help your present readers, and those who will read after your death (to whom you mention that you are bequeathing these poems). Such additions may give some readers a much deeper experience:

    It would be cool to have an addendum on each poem which offers context:

    a) Where you were when you wrote

    b) What you were or had been experiencing the inspired the poem

    c)(maybe what year or age)

    d)Short explanation or link to allusions the reader may not understand.

    I know that poems are, in some ideal sense, suppose to float alone, but ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your suggestions. I hope you're able to further your interest in poetry here and elsewhere.

    First of all, strange as it may sound, this really isn't about me. I believe poems are best when they bridge the reader to his/her own experiences and realizations. Sometimes that takes effort, and that's all to the good.

    I do intend to include a descriptive or explanatory statement from time to time, and also a little more personal background, but I don't want a lot of ego clutter, and I don't want to push my experience over the reader's experiences. A lot of traps and pitfalls lurk in that area.

    Instead, I'd prefer to address particular instances where some clarification might enhance your own understanding here in the comments section. So please feel free to ask anything you'd like. (I'll add this information to my missionary statement for others' benefit as well.)

    Thanks again. I'm very glad to hear from you, to know this poem has been read and enjoyed, and I appreciate your feedback and suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great points.
    I will ask in the future -- that will be fun.
    Already learning from ya.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This being my entry level comment I thought this to be an appropriate place to make it.

    Wow! is what I have to say after reading your latest post (which I found through Poets United) and several of your older poems this morning. Your words sing and cause me to drift to dreams.

    Being your latest follower I'll be back to read each new post and in-between your postings I'll be back to read more of what you have here. :)

    ReplyDelete

'Poetry is an echo asking a shadow to dance' ~Carl Sandburg