Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The Trimetran Form Explored






 Geshna cannalis


Damn the worms!
Screw  them
and the rapaciousness
that turns unfurl’d Canna’s leaf to stem.
Dictated insect winner’s terms
and the rapaciousness
of a herd of maddened pachyderms!!!

Vile
vermin!

I respectfully submit this piece in the newly discovered Trimetran form for my readers' review. The Trimetran is a syllable-counting form with strict rhyme scheme, though no specified meter, which alone makes its composition possible. It was once thought to be the invention of the fictitious Dr. Enid MacFarquhar-Douglas, but that has proved to be a hoax, MacFarquhar-Douglas being a pseudonym for the even more pseudonymous Shay Fireblossom, known to have been observed flagrantly writing trimetrans on used but uncrumpled napkins at Danny's while the kitten Guiseppe Verdi rolled helplessly with laughter. 

You can read her Trimetran attempt (merely passable for a normal student of form but exceptionally well done for one who has not as yet composed even the simplest of shadormas, haikus or dyslexias) here at her post: The Trimetran Form

For those interested in the nuts and bolts of trimetranism, in the above post,  Prof Fireblossom extensively explains this challenging and exciting new development in poetic composition  sweeping across the blogosphere. Because I know you all have lives, I will spare you most of the highly advanced scholarly verbiage and technical terminology here in this handy Cliff Notes style summary:

Trimetran = nine lines
syllable count/rhyme scheme
3A
2B
6C
EE-I-EE-I-O

(with the final couplet unrhymed, of course.)

Warning! Whatever the beginner does, it is VERY IMPORTANT not to skip the homogeneous coupling of lines 3 and 6!!

Enjoy, fellow poets and helpless readers!



16 comments:

  1. What fun-- I love this and shall try it anon. Screworms. xxxj

    ReplyDelete
  2. blogga is still suffering from asshat's syndrome, so i have to comment as coal.

    you crack me up, woman! ode to worms. this is insane! who's big fat idea was this, anyway? oh. never mind!

    ReplyDelete
  3. rapaciousness...what a frickin cool word hedge...darn those destroyers...vile indeed! ha. nice form...

    ReplyDelete
  4. You got her good! Brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So hilarious - you two mad geniuses keep us royally entertained!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh noez! linez 3 and 6 spozed to be the sames!

    me laff at bof of u!

    --Giuseppe Verdi the kitten

    ReplyDelete
  7. lol! I saw a caterpillar train the other day, but I didn't have the fine form and handling of words to do their existence justice, hedgewitch!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Talon : Thanks--these canna leaf rollers are the bane of my existence. Insidious, voracious--i can't think of enough adjectives to describe them!

    @Guiseppe Verdi, Kitten: I guess, being non-human and perhaps lacking complete mastery of the reading skills, I will cut you some slack about me preferring detailed critique to be handled by email. This time. Nonetheless, I thank you for pointing out my failure. This has now been corrected.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Er...i gots de tail...but me not noe wut criteek is!

    lub,

    Giuseppe Verdi, kitten

    ReplyDelete
  10. The form is long overdue for satire, in my opinion. Having said that, your poem is a warrior cry to echo in any avid gardeners heart!
    Bravo.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just the sort of versified curse one aims at a carbuncle on one's own ass. The eyes bulge, cheeks redden, spittle flies helterskelter off the lips as the lines are delivered, ending in a near-fatal conniption of exclamation points! Kudos to Prof. FB for devising so feral a concatenation for the oulipoliticians of form. May your every worm be confounded in the count and hit the ground in mazed oblivion, like the heroic couplet that buttons the stops of Judgment's verse ocarina. - Brendan

    ReplyDelete
  12. Many thanks all. Though I have done my best, I know it will take many more years of study and practice to truly master the trimetran.

    @Guiseppe Verdi, Kitten: Might I suggest your time would perhaps be better employed in snoozing and purring and consumption of catnip than literary criticism? Still, I welcome your primitive thoughts and extend a friendly saucer of milk.

    @Brendan: Yes, on the bulging eyes, reddened cheeks, and prolific use of Anglo-Saxon barnyard-inspired vocabulary. So far I've found Bacillus thuriengensis sprayed on the leaves to provide better control than poetic invective, but I will try reciting a vindictive ocarina as well. Can't hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing! Delights the reader, brings smile to same, I loved it....

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is an interesting form but I found the rhythm and succinctness to be the portion of completion which of course is set in the form, which I will admit, Joy I do not understand it as explained.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't know . . . that homogeneous coupling ain't for beginners!

    ReplyDelete
  16. @MZ I wouldn't attempt it at home...only professional trimetrists should do so.

    @Brendan--just realized I should have said "reciting a vindictive *octava rima* while *playing* on an ocarina." Woke up in the middle of the night with that revelation last night, visualizing the sweet potato-like contraption that is the bane of parents when kids are exposed to its musical potential in school. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

'Poetry is an echo asking a shadow to dance' ~Carl Sandburg