Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Repost~Spring and the Fool




Spring and The Fool

Spring loves a fool,
throwing her sticky caltrop
 blossoms under his dancing toes,
laughing with him as the cold white
blood of January turns blue,
brims the river
and slides his fool’s shack
off the bank.

Spring cares for a fool,
washing his winter soiled
questions of living, tumbling them
in her dryer to be folded away
neat as a fallen leaf sorted back
into earth,

sucking him up her pressure hose
for a lark, blowing him out the nozzle
or percolating him down from his cloud
as he juggles hail in the wild storm,
morning coffee for the
first grasshoppers.

Even this spring
hot as any summer
where the flatbread plains crisp
under her sudden yellow eye; where running
before the distant blur of the moon the south wind
exhales with the used heat
of dragon breath.

Spring loves a fool
as the fool loves the dance.
 Blistered feet soon summerheal,
distrained harvests soon reseed.
Thrice denied before dawn,
the sun’s judas kiss burning
on his cheek, still he sheds his skin
and dons his pointy hat
one more time.



June 2011
I'm reposting this for Kerry's Wednesday Challenge at real toads, which is to explore the idea of Magical Realism, making connection with things through their unseen and mysterious attributes.  Thanks, Kerry, for letting me dig this one out of the cellars of Castle Hedgewitch.






15 comments:

  1. What I absolutely adore about this wonder is the personification of the Spring (I imagine her as the little girl in the original artwork) and how you focused on her, in equal measure to the fool. I have read this piece before, I believe, but so enjoyed having the chance to read it again with new eyes.

    Everything about the poem rings fresh and true: a unique vision.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't recall what I commented the first time around, for this, except that i think I made some remark about The Fool and his symbolic journey, in the Tarot. Anyway, this time what grabbed me, and what I know i did not see before, was your use of the term "caltrop." I'm not real sure what that is exactly, but if I'm not totally off-base, it means both a bundle of flowers and also is the name of a weapon, involving points or stickers of some kind. And so, to have these thrown under one's dancing toes would be a dirty trick indeed.

    I get the idea that Spring has fondness for the Fool at the same time as she toys with him, even mocks him. And who is the fool? Why, we are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes--you were off on the Tarot--which the poem certainly invites, first time round. I'm glad you noticed the caltrops--it's a weird word, outmoded certainly but it has that nice and so useful specificity to it that I like in poems--it is indeed a medieval weapon, used against mounted troops--a ball of spikes which lames and disables horses(or cattle or other hoofy critters.) I don't think it has a botanical meaning, except the one I've gratuitously endowed it with here. And you're spot on with your conclusion.

      Delete
  3. "Washing his winter-soiled questions of living" really resonated with me, Hedge. Spring has no time for those questions.
    K

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is lovely Hedge. I do see the images of spring and fool dancing ~ Your last verse sparkles along with the picture ~

    ReplyDelete
  5. My, my, Spring is quite the wicked little season, isn't she? Just having a bit of fun with the poor Fool. By the time she's finished, he may be longing for Winter again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The poem is definitely an earthly delight. It's interesting how it moves along--the beginning very clearly visualized description, the end becoming almost an incantation (and kind of frenzied too), though, it all fits together too, and the frenzy a bit like a tarantella. (I don't know if that's the right word--dance.) k.

    ReplyDelete
  7. smiles...glad someone does...maybe that is why i like spring...i fit in...smiles....haha love the coffee imagery as well...percolating him...smiles...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this Spring poem...Spring loves a fool as the fool loves the dance. Blistered feet soon summerheal,distrained harvests soon reseed...seems we yearn for whatever season is just beyond our reach.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Caltrop blossoms are a nice image.I like this word. It has endless possibilities.I also like the biblical refererences in the last stanza.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Spring has to be thrilled with this poem, hedgewitch. All the imagery is stellar and the personification is beautiful and magical.

    ReplyDelete
  11. "Thrice denied before dawn,
    the sun’s judas kiss burning
    on his cheek,"

    Love those lines especially and I really loved the persona you gave to spring. That poor fool :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful wealth of images, magical ideas, and amazing writing. Loved it.

    ReplyDelete

'Poetry is an echo asking a shadow to dance' ~Carl Sandburg