Friday, August 18, 2017

In Time Of Eclipse








In Time Of Eclipse


Down among the dead things
her candled light is dragged
but not blown out;
fire that serves 

burns longer 
kinder
than the eclipse's flare that puts out sight.

She's with the tilting stars, flying,
and our loss, and our gain;
a bird with purple down

flying, flying,
 turning the eye from 
this brief blacking of the sun
that belts the world.



for Heather Heyer
~August 2017

Heather Heyer was murdered in an act of domestic terrorism in Charlottesville, Va. on August 12, 2017. Her favorite color was purple. 

Much of the middle United States will experience a rare total solar eclipse on Monday, August 21.






Images: Heather in a glass heart, via pinterest







10 comments:

  1. I'm glad she is flying with the stars

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen. Your "kinder" put me in mind of the "kinder, gentler nation" comment and that of course connects in my mind to "making America great again" and that sort of hollow rhetoric-- like our president suddenly being a champion of art and history. Heather Heyer's gentle flame is so much stronger than all of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ Mark Kerstetter: I just wanted to say that I always enjoy your cogent remarks here at Joy's blog.

      Delete
    2. And I as well, Mark. Thank you.

      Delete
  3. You already know that I love this. I wish I could have written something for her, but no need--you've said it beautifully and very movingly. I hope her family somehow sees this, Joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't pretend that this would ever come close to being something worthy of what they have gone through, and what they have lost, but the words just came and I hope I was not being presumptuous setting them down.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks, M. I hope things settle down for you soon.

      Delete
  5. Our eclipse, this moment; a woman dragged to death, a President blinded by looking at the sun. This is a wonderful bricolage of what passed --o we pray, briefly--the summer of 2018. Or is that moment grander, signifying our own passing, or the world's? Who knows, but you would have been wrong not to set them down.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You expressed your sentiments beautifully.

    ReplyDelete

'Poetry is an echo asking a shadow to dance' ~Carl Sandburg