Ballad Of The Earwig
(a 55)
He was the earwig come up through the drain,
she the rosebud ruined in rain,
she the actress losing her looks,
he, strutting hero of unreadable books;
they a brainstorm dying in rage,
they, two monkeys shaking a cage.
I am the pony who runs with the storm,
you, blue fire that burns without warmth.
April 2025
posted for Word Garden Word List
Images: Earwig, metal sculpture, artist unknown. via internet Fair Use
Blue Fire Wallpaper, artist unknown, via internet, Fair Use


Fantastic! I love every image. Just wonderful.
ReplyDeleteIt's almost a brimstone jump rope chant! That second couplet is my favorite part. The idea of a "hero of unreadable books" is the kind of gem that only you could pull out of your magic cauldron, my BFF.
ReplyDeleteYes, I almost stole your tag. ;) Thanks, Shay.
DeleteWow! Your poem, amazing. Love it from title to ending. "strutting hero of unreadable books" What a line. I so wished I had written it.
ReplyDeleteOoooh! Perfectly balanced and tight. "hey, two monkeys shaking a cage" is a keeper. I love the pivot from the 3rd person to the first. "They" are always really "we."
ReplyDelete"balanced and tight," to quote qbit above, is what came to my mind as I read your verse, too. I especially like the two monkeys image and that final couplet.
ReplyDeleteooh, I love this. didn't even realize it was a 55, it reads so full. all the phrases, but especially the one Shay picked out ~
ReplyDelete