Snow Go
Snow sparrows shy from the black
unnatural rubber of the car on iced asphalt.
Winter throws softballs against the glass,
trees seem to bend away in the distance
wishing the snow that blankets the road
could hide it, block it
and let their secret world continue
without my car, my fumes, my noise, my uselessness.
January 2011
Posted for Magpie Tales #50
Uncredited photo provided by magpie tales removed
Oh very good Hedgewitch! So, the arrow is a big 'exit stage right' for human 'progress.'
ReplyDeleteFeels just like riding in a car in winter. The "softballs" against the glass, the snow sparrows. Love your last line.
ReplyDeleteWhat a gorgeous interpretation of the picture!
ReplyDeleteI adore the notion of winter throwing softballs. Very nice.
ReplyDeleteStrange driver in a strange land? I don't think the auto club probably has a solution for this sort of breakdown. Loved the ride, dear Witch.
ReplyDeleteJoy,
ReplyDeleteThis is delectable!
Yeah. Nature to 'us': go away.
Trulyfool
Hedgewitch, true to your name, you wish to magic the car away from nature, the forests, the purity of the world outside our little mechanical lives.
ReplyDeleteYour poem works because it tells me what I want to hear.
Lovely. Thank you for visiting; I hope to see more of you.
This is a really lovely and thoughtful piece! We really do, too often, make ourselves an intrusion upon nature, instead of opting to be one with it.
ReplyDeleteI love the first line. Wonderful, wonderful.
ReplyDeletethis was a trip :) loved the trees...I could almost see them rolling their knotholes as you rode by.
ReplyDeleteSaw your name on Fireblossom's great site
ReplyDeleteNature gets the raw end of the deal
Yes I'd like to tell the snow where to go...
Nice to meet you
Great magpies fumes and snow... amixture that makes and great verse!
ReplyDeletethis is a wonderful change in point of view from our view of nature to nature's view of us. Awesome - love it - esp. for its originality :)
ReplyDeleteA great Magpie!
ReplyDeleteSnow is good a hiding things it objects to...
ReplyDeleteGah, the only useless thing 'roun here is the dame snow. Lets have some sun and warmth. do you suppose if in the morning we all ran to the east en masse the earth would tilt a bit more towards the sun sooner?
ReplyDeleteThanks everyone for the visits and comments--greatly appreciated.I've enjoyed as always seeing what everyone does with the photo--this mag has been thoroughly fun.
ReplyDelete@ twm Yeah--I'm a lot less tired of snow here since we're one of the few parts of the country that hasn't had any, but I pretty much hate winter anyway on general principals.
To all the 55-ers--I have to engage in some dreary RL chores today, but I will make the rounds this evening to see what deviltry you all have gotten up to.
winters snowbals- I like that !
ReplyDeleteJust beautiful, hedgewitch.
ReplyDeleteNice.. as much as I hate snow.. snow isn't the villian in this story
ReplyDeletenice...nature disturbed, fights back...wish it could with all those that want to destroy it...
ReplyDeleteDear Hedgewitch: Definitely feel this angst; the glaring variations between Man vs Nature. As always, most excellent poetry hedgewitchO'theWilds!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful 55.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great combination of 55 and magpie. Very well done. I can just see the car, definitely a victim in this winter scene, as, perhaps, it should be!!!
ReplyDeleteThis is where we chose to live!
ReplyDeleteWhats Winter without Snow!
Loved your 55 Joy Ann.
Thanks for playing, thanks for your support, and have a Kick Ass Week-End!!!
Anything inorganic seems out of place in snow. Nice take on the prompt.
ReplyDelete"and let their secret world continue
ReplyDeletewithout my car, my fumes, my noise, my uselessness."
i just loved this line - yes - i just love this line... have a wonderful weekend!
Wonderful take. A pleasure to read.
ReplyDeletezeroing into the arrow
Uselessness? in snow-against it, maybe- thanks.
ReplyDeleteThanks all, and may your weekends be snow free and excellent.
ReplyDeletethat was lovely!
ReplyDeleteyou know, that was very very realistic.. I am pretty sure that's how the chirpy birds would be thinking about us and our cars...
ReplyDeleteI like your point of view here, Joy... all packed into this poignant Magpie!
...and let the secret world continue without ... "us". Love it - I like winter just because it lets me walk in those "thick" areas I can't get to in the other seasons. Great insight.
ReplyDeleteplayful take.
ReplyDeletelove your style...
Thanks for sharing.
:)