Sunday, August 21, 2011

Sunday Snapshots

We had a gorgeous overcast and cool (for us) day here, especially for the tail end of a very scorpion-like stinging August, so I spent much of it trying to catch up on a few gardening chores. I don't have any poems to share today, so I thought I would post some of my very amateur shots of what's going on in the yard and garden at Castle Hedgewitch instead.

I'll start off with the tree damage we got the other night when I was bemoaning the power outages from the straightline winds of 70 mph that passed over us, thankfully doing not much more than blow a few shingles off the roof, and chew up this silver maple:









Below are a few shots of a morning glory that volunteered from seed. It's an old heirloom variety known as Grampa Ott, and is a bit more purply than shows in these. He's rambling all over my front bed this year, and the heat hasn't seemed to faze his antique ass. Two years ago when I gently nurtured him from a wee sprout tenderly started indoors in the depths of winter, he refused to do anything but get spider mites and die. I guess he's more a free bird sort of morning glory:








He's even rambling over the purslane in my container garden:




Finally, some of the cannas are starting to rebloom.They're a bit bedraggled from all the heat and an unfortunate lack of care due to my hatred of going outside when the temps replicate the seventh circle of hell, but they're taking no prisoners anyway. 

This one, Burning Ember,  is one of my favorites for it's almost surreal orange tones--and this is after I turned the saturation DOWN : 


If you're wondering what those long metal structures are in my neighbor's yard along the fence, they're her two loafing sheds for her horses, Pecos and Renegade, shown here helping with the mowing near the mimosa killed by this summer's heat:





These are some of the baby cows my mutt was chasing  on the property behind us. Mother is not in evidence today; she may have already become someone's dinner.




Those of you who are real photographers, thanks for bearing with me, as my gifts definitely do not extend in this direction. However, I hope everyone benefited from the wholesome exercise involved in getting out and communing with the garden, however vicarious. 


Regularly scheduled poetry programming will resume shortly.



9 comments:

  1. nice...that is a really cool orange color...nice to get a peek at your world...loveing all the nature...ugh on the fallen trees though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Regularly scheduled gardening around Mansion Durfee is done by regularly unscheduled weather and birds that shit out seeds of varying types. If it don't come naturally then it don't happen, much more than a mowing by push mower within the perimeter fence line is about the only maintenance needed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know that I always love pix of Hedgewitch's garden, and I am particularly partial to morning glories. And wow, that's some serious orange!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Brian--o well, the tree service is coming for them eventually--the streets into town are lined with brush piles waist high, so could have been worse.

    @ twm *snorf* Mansion Durfee is low maintenance obviously. I enjoy the gardening, most of the time, but when I don't I am fully capable of blowing it off.

    @FB: I'm tellin ya. You could light a cigarette off those petals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. sorry about the fallen trees...love the flowers :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry about the trees. But those were great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. For withering all summer beneath a vengeant Sol (a Red Knight this time of year, giving the light in August an augustan polar sear) you manage to keep things green and colorful. I had imagined Castle H. to be more of a badlands dustbowl of briars and cracked earth. Very charming, actually, roseate with Hedgewitchean bloom. Whaddaya do with those flowers, sing to 'em at night to sheathe them in magic mist against the sun? (Sorry about the tree.) - Brendan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks all for stopping by and checking out the scenery.

    @B: The rains we've gotten this month have greened the grass back up, and slightly cooler temps have moderated Sol's vicious glare into just a rude stare. That's the main factor, and relentless watering. I also only plant tough, heat loving plants, after years of watching delphiniums and sweet peas shrivel and die. And those midnight songs where I wander around mumbling to myself and the moon may not hurt, either, perhaps. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's good to see you outdoors after too much summer heat. So sorry about the tree. We have a volunteer morning glory, a twin of yours.

    ReplyDelete

'Poetry is an echo asking a shadow to dance' ~Carl Sandburg