Thursday, September 1, 2011

Friday Flash 55 ~ Dehiscence



Dehiscence

 The fruit that’s bruised
under the skin
sits in the sun.
All the housewives
pass it by;
( they know it by its look
its feel )
until the fruit-man takes a loss
throws it spoiled away,
rolling in the alley
opening a sweet meal
of decay,
bee’s endearments,
treetop dance,
long forgotten



August 2011

Posted for  Friday Flash 55  at the G-man's

(Yes, Galen, the title is purely to bug you and drive you crazy, since none of the other words required a dictionary this time.)



Okay, I'll cut you some slack:
Dehiscence is the opening, at maturity, of a plant structure, such as a fruit, anther, or sporangium, to release its contents. Sometimes this involves the complete detachment of a part. ~wikipedia (This can by my head, if you want. ;-)  )



HAPPY LABOR DAY WEEKEND, ALL!


13 comments:

  1. Laffin hard @ the note to Galen, and "this can be my head if you want."

    Tbh, I didn't know this definition, so I learned something. I thought it was something about surgical suture lines that rupture from weakness or stress. And so I read the poem as being about "old wounds" that open and fester. But now that I read your explanatory note, I guess it is about aging, and how bittersweet that is, and how isolating.

    Or, it could be about unicorns. :-P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice Joy...we may think it is spoiled but it is food for others...

    Happy friday ~

    ReplyDelete
  3. @FB: Obviously you are much the smartness. I so should have clarified that this is the botanical dehiscence, and not the medical dehiscence. Sometimes, as with milkweed pods that blow open, it's referred to as 'explosive dehiscence. '
    When it's about exploding unicorns, it's usually called dehiscence unicornus abruptus.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah...
    I have the occasion to use this word often.
    TEACHER: "Galen, can you define the word Dehiscence?"
    LITTLE G-MAN:'Yes I Can!! Your pennies, nickles and dimes are De Low Cents, and your Quarters, Half, and Silver Dollors are De Hi Cents!
    Hedge...That word just made me split a seam, or Bust a Gut, or spit a spore!!!
    You have turned a simple little fun writing prompt into...into...FUN!!!
    Thanks for playing, pick Shaysie's laughing ass up off of the floor, and have a Kick Ass FOOTBALL Week-End

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're a good sport, Mr. G. I think I like your definition best, but I don't have much of the cents, or sense either one. I will watch some golf, I mean football, just for you this weekend (Right after I alphabetize my spices and polish all the frogs...) :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a sad fate for a fruit.

    You aren't really going to make me go look that up, are you?

    ReplyDelete
  7. lolssss
    buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tasty, Hedgewitch!

    The cycle of life repeating, and dances in trees go on.

    Yummy, as always.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a mix of emotions here. Very beautiful, your poem. And then Galen's trip down memory lane in the class room... LOL

    ReplyDelete

'Poetry is an echo asking a shadow to dance' ~Carl Sandburg