Friday, December 2, 2011

Mea Culpa



Mea Culpa



Miserere nobis mea culpa
my own most grievous fault
The bell tolls on disregarding
what new blows what shattered
earholes what new thing it kills
with every nod and chime.

The dog is pariah, skinny ribs
too plain beneath piebald fur,
the pony foundered
headed for
glue.

The show is over; No,
no! Not even
time for one more trick…

but don’t tell the young
ones.
Let them believe
when they go down to
kneel with Trismegistus
and swear the broken oath.




December 2011


Image: Hermes mercurius trismegistus siena cathedral,
Public domain via wikimedia commons




Optional New Age-y Accompaniment


 

10 comments:

  1. i feel a bit sad for the dog and pony show...its finally come to an end...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for playing Enigma ... I'd forgotten about it ... mea culpa, I guess ... :) Love, cat,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your thrice great poem is nonetheless enigmatic. My greatest fault is not catching its meaning despite the magic in its spells.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, all. Appreciate you stopping by.

    @brian: o well--all things must pass, and it was a one trick pony anyway...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like Ragnar and his dog, on the sidebar!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I knew the dog's name--I never asked when I was younger, and now there's no one to ask.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really love that last line. It echoes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My daughter asked to go see the circus last night after watching an episode of "Fatal Attractions." I find circuses (circi?) :) depressing I replied. Those poor little dogs and pony shows. The sad elephants. I can't handle it. So we have 2 cats and 2 dogs we are good to.

    She clarified that she'd really like to see the acrobats. So I reminder here we were going to "The Nutcracker" on Friday the 9th. There shall she see her leaping and tumbling vision desire met!

    Darn awesome poem!

    And your grandfather Ragnar and his dog were awesome looking too!!

    xo

    ReplyDelete

'Poetry is an echo asking a shadow to dance' ~Carl Sandburg