Monday, April 20, 2015

The Leaf Lover






"...And pluck till time and times are done
The silver apples of the moon,
The golden apples of the sun."
~from The Song of Wandering Aengus, by W.B. Yeats

~*~


The Leaf Lover




Amber, cinder,
buckwheat, silver;
wind-back barque, jade-veined sail,
cloud my trail; songbird table
blackbird's cradle;
south wind bides where sparrow hides
and none can follow. My arms are roads
for squirrel and swallow.
My toes are curled
in earthen codes.
 Love me, love,
in drape and dapple
in darkness or in sun's accord.
Love  me, love;  
I'll show you apples
no one has ever
 seen 
before.




~April 2015








posted for 

I, Tree
Summon the green within, and write a poem from the point of view of a sentient tree who gets to address his or her keeper.

Slightly late to the party, as usual...








Images: Pattern of Leaves,  by Georgia O'Keefe
Fair Use via wikiart.org
Footer Image: via internet, title and author unknown
No copyright infringement intended. Will remove on request.

11 comments:

  1. Ah, charming. A great prompt and especially great for you who can really feel and convey these things--I especially love the arms trails for squirrels and swallows and all the beautiful sound throughout this--the jade-veined sail--so cool and the songbird's table--

    And you gotta love them apples! (No, but seriously, a terrific poem--its own songbird, um, tree.) k.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this! Right from the opening lines on through the shape of the lines as a whole, that looks like a tree. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, ladies! I had fun writing this one.

    Right now my yard is being excavated for repairs by large backhoes and men with big shovels, about three inches from my DSL cable, so if I disappear, everyone, it will be because they cut it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This made me smile... I just love when a poem does that. The cadence here is wonderful, I want to sing or chant this to the sky.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! The glory of leaves so beautifully stated.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love where this went and the way it took me with it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely beautiful. Words and art.

    ReplyDelete
  8. in the chorus of admiration... ~

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is just beautiful. I'm blown away by the imagery

    ReplyDelete
  10. The singsong tone, the sensuality of the word choice, the picture-like quality of the imagery... I'm in love, Hedge! Wit the last five lines, in particular; delicious! ♥

    ReplyDelete

'Poetry is an echo asking a shadow to dance' ~Carl Sandburg