Friday, April 24, 2015

Three Sails








Three Sails
a fibonnacci



Three
sails
to a 
woman's mast;
maiden mother crone;
wind-cache, holder, mender of nets.



~April 2015
















posted for


Art Speaks to Art
Base a poem on a piece by one of your favorite artists.

It's hard to pick a single favorite for me, but the work of  Spanish Impressionist Joaquín Sorolla y Bastida, is one of the loves of my mature years. His paintings are full of light and personality, and always seem to tell a larger story. 



This poem is a fibonacci, a syllable-counting form following the fibonacci sequence of 1/1/2/3/5/8. One of its virtues is that it is automatically short and dense-which makes it perfect for these waning days of April, and my waning poetic energy. ;_)





 Top: Three Sails, 1903, by Joaquin Sorolla y Bastida
Footer: Mending Nets, 1901, Ibid.
Public domain via wikiart.org

12 comments:

  1. This was brilliant! I can't even think because the words are dancing in my head!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know squealing is no proper form, but I squealed when I finished reading this poem nonetheless. I got even more excited after reading your note (I didn't know the specifics of a Fibonacci). The form was perfect for the art and for what you told us you love about them: your poem tells the story of the world, from birth to death and again. Love every bit of it. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this is perfection. Could not be said better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know that there was such a thing as a Fibonacci poem. That is really cool. The math geek in me is jumping up and down. Neat! I must figure out a way to incorporate this into a school project. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a lot of fun to write, Elena--you can extend the sequence for a longer poem, i.e., 1,1,2,3,5,8,13,21, etc. Each number=the number of syllables (or words, if you want to be more liberal in interpretation) per line.( It gets pretty unwieldy after 13, though.) You can do reverse ones or double ones as well.

      Delete
  5. Here is the website for the html stuff:

    http://www.sabinanore.com/design/html-special-symbols/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perfect. The lives of the (fisher)wife is thrice cast.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Who says simple and short can't be fun? There's a simple playfulness to this that almost feels like a bit of old folklore.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Short and dense and perfect. I love this, the smile of yes, how true, is still on my lips.

    ReplyDelete

'Poetry is an echo asking a shadow to dance' ~Carl Sandburg