The Secret
No one told the owls
still they flew all night through
the moon-radiant snow, claws
cold as promises, to my white crib.
We cannot save you, they said.
We can only know you. Bald
blind medusas with all
their snakes hidden
behind their lips
will raise you.
All around you
will be
the petty pecking
of bitter-braided bitches who
never caught a mouse.
Who, who, said the owls
will you be then, the dove
who tastes of midnight
or the bear who
sleeps the cold away
until the honey flows?
April 2023
posted for
Images: Owl at Window, Artist unknown, via internet Fair Use
Black Magic, 1934, ©Rene Magritte Fair Use
The Bear, ©Michael Sowa Fair Use

.jpg!Large.jpg)

as ever, you conjure potent imagery - the blind medusae with lip-hidden snakes, the doves tasting of midnight - I may as well quote the entire poem. fantastic ~
ReplyDeleteOh, wow. This is wonderful in every possible way. The owls "we cannot save you." The "pecking of bitter-braided bitches". And, especially, the question at the end. I wonder which one she chose. So beautiful to read and envision, Joy.
ReplyDeleteI ADORE THIS. Every line, Joy, every single line of it. I am not sure whether to start with what a masterful depiction of a very challenging childhood and its aftermath this is, or to just concentrate on the splendid writing. You know what, I would just have to quote back the entire piece. I'm going to use that time to launch myself into outer space in search of the bar because you have raised it to some place near the moons of Jupiter with this one.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful poetry, Joy ~~ chilling to the core.
ReplyDeleteWho, who indeed. These ghosts of Athena whoop a cold wisdom, far-seeing like the Fates (from the crib) but for knowing's sake ("we can only know you"). For Hecat's sake there's a crossroads -- dove or bear? -- and wonder which persona will unfold accordingly. Who indeed. De shadows know.
ReplyDeleteHoly smokes that is good. I want to quote line after line. That ending! And I can't get enough of this stanza: "Who, who, said the owls / will you be then, the dove / who tastes of midnight" Brilliant, beautiful, moving, subtle.
ReplyDeleteYour use of imagery is always brilliant Joy. It makes us almost feel the emotions that only the poet could have felt or known. I could not read it just once. Simply gorgeous my friend!
ReplyDeleteAmazing! I read it 3 times and got more out of it each time. (This is Jo from https://outofthecave.blog)
ReplyDelete