Thursday, September 28, 2023

The Ring-bolted Sword

 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 "..Lay between us the ring-bolted sword
the sharp-edged iron as it lay before
when we two together lay in one bed
when we had the name of man and wife...

Much have I said. I would say more
if more time for speech were granted me
but my voice fails my wounds are throbbing
I said what was true and now must depart.."
~Sigurdarkvida in skamma, Poetic Edda
trans Carolyne Larrington
 
 
 
 
The Ring-bolted Sword
(a 55)
 
 You brought iron into our unquiet bed
when you saw I wasn't the mask you'd paid for.
On battlefields only the dead
sleep easy.

Now you're gone
but the death-chill won't leave
these nights where my dreams
grow hyenas and serpents.

What lies tangle
truth can only mutilate.
I say what is true
and depart.
 
 
 

September 2023
 
 
 
 
 
 




 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
posted for Desperate Oracles at
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

6 comments:

  1. In the teeth of troth, the ring-bolted sword laid conjugally -- something to swear at and to and by. The teeth of it bites the heart of history. It's an address to a ghost whose dragon ship foundered on a mask and the blood eagle it made of a bed. The poem as x-ray oracle with the sad admission, "What lies tangle / truth can only mutilate." A kick ass 55, this rune of dead love's midwife. The ship departs with it aboard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - a potent truth that bites. Every word and line just as strong as the next.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A perfect poem, Joy. You "say what is true/and depart". I can't think of a better description of a poet's job/mission. JIM

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's a stake through the heart. Hyenas and serpents--this is full of chilling, disturbing images and a certain ferocity of bald honesty that's as hard to handle sometimes for the giver as for the recipient.

    ReplyDelete
  5. so much packed in this 55. that final couplet holds the sharpest edge ~

    ReplyDelete

"We make out of the quarrel with others, rhetoric, out of the quarrel with ourselves, poetry." ~William Butler Yeats

Comment Moderation Has Been Enabled