Tuesday, February 18, 2025

Pandaemonium

 
 
 
 
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/08/John_Martin_Le_Pandemonium_Louvre.JPG

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Pandaemonium
 
 
 
Lucifer's a pudgy angel now,
carrying around a clockwork hook.
He glistens like the night-sweat of
a troupe of drunkard clowns.
The hook is busy swinging in one hand,
heavy and sharp, catching this,
piercing that, while he smiles,
extending with ersatz camaraderie
 
the other flat, empty palm. I would
send him a letter, but
he's disappeared all the pens
commandeered the keyboards
burnt down the paper mills,
so it can only be written
on tombstones with a broken crucifix in
my blood, and it's doubtful he will read.
 
I need my blood
for better things, like
watering the apple blossoms
shot pink with spring fire, and
bleeding a banner with a new chorus
 for the mongrel choir
throat singing back to him the
National Anathema. 
 
 


February 2025
 


https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9d/Pieter_Bruegel_the_Elder_-_The_Fall_of_the_Rebel_Angels_-_RMFAB_584_%28derivative_work%29.jpg/675px-Pieter_Bruegel_the_Elder_-_The_Fall_of_the_Rebel_Angels_-_RMFAB_584_%28derivative_work%29.jpg







Posted For Word Garden Word List









Pandæmonium ...is the capital of Hell in John Milton's epic poem Paradise Lost...The name stems from the Greek pan (παν), meaning 'all' or 'every', and daimónion (δαιμόνιον), a diminutive form meaning 'little spirit', 'little angel', or, as Christians interpreted it, 'little daemon'...Pandæmonium thus roughly translates as "All Demons"—but can also be interpreted as Pandemoneios or 'all-demon-place'..John Milton invented the name in Paradise Lost (1667), as "A solemn Council forthwith to be held at Pandæmonium, the high Capitol, of Satan and his Peers" ~wikipedia
 







Images: Pandemonium, 1841, ©John Martin
The Fall Of The Rebel Angels, 1562 © Pieter Bruegel the Elder 

7 comments:

  1. Only tombstones left on which to write resonates as they shut down all manner of true information and replace them with their alternate reality, which is a nightmare. I so welcome the switch in the closing stanza to the watering of apple blossoms - our comfort and solace in the midst of mayhem. The national anathema is very clever. Wonderful to read you, Hedge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes. you have channeled Dante into this 21st century inferno ~

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never knew what the origin of the word "pandemonium" was until today, but it makes perfect sense the way you have explained it. (I have never rad Milton.) As a word junkie, I find that fascinating. More importantly, you've chosen the ideal title for these times and for your poem. It couldn't be more apt.

    I read this as Elon being an avatar for Lucifer, slashing at all and sundry with one hand while offering nothing with the other except fake jocularity. Indeed, he and his kiddie corps are busy as beavers destroying the framework of anything that might oppose them. Still, it is your fonal stanza that spoke to me the most. I am reminded of a line from Jesus Christ Superstar, which IIRC goes "If every tongue were stilled the noise would still continue; the rocks and stones themselves would start to sing." That's the thing about Truth, write large. It exists no matter what anyone does to try to twist it, cover it, or destroy it. I just fear the tremendous price to be paid in the coming years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A perfect description of the pandemonium we find ourselves living in these days. I love how you said you'd use your blood. Another poem I wished I'd written.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "The National Anathema" --- We've heard all the blasphemies uttered by many a politician, but somehow there's a new cult in town and you define it superbly in a Blakean vision mingled with Plath's unequivocal voice, especially in the last stanza. I have no room in me to imagine governments get better. History's proved they only get worse.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you end in a little light - Jae

    ReplyDelete
  7. This felt like stepping into a fevered dream where satire and apocalypse dance together.

    ReplyDelete

"We make out of the quarrel with others, rhetoric, out of the quarrel with ourselves, poetry." ~William Butler Yeats

Comment Moderation Has Been Enabled