Wednesday, December 18, 2024

Moon Fluff

 
 
 
 

 

 
Moon Fluff
 
(a 55)
 
 I found the moon last night
thrown down in a puddle,
kissing with clouds, a peppermint undone
fished from your pocket-fluff, 
sticky
but still sugarsweet, 
still shiny
with its two-toned jewel-jazz glaze
like that one clean note you'd hit
in your sax-fiasco blues,
tasting of 
lemon and light and
 cold
December 
rain
in the night. 
 
 
 
December 2024
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
posted for Word Garden Word List
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Images: The Moon, 1929, © Salvador Dali     Fair Use
 

13 comments:

  1. Gorgeous, Hedgewitch. I love how you take us from the moon "thrown down in a puddle" to the peppermint in your pocket, and the parallel between its "clean note" like "sax-fiasco blues." A perfect slice of sensory pie :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE that image! And your poem is simply wonderful. The moon in a puddle.....the one clean note....the lemon and light and cold. Just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sherry, for always being such a supportive and loving person. This world doesn't appreciate that as much as it should, but I do.

      Delete
  3. This is such a pleasure to read, Hedge! The poem seems to be on an ever-rising trajectory, moving from the moon "thrown down in a puddle" (what a perfect choice of phrasing btw) on up to "lemon and light." The "cold December rain in the night, by that point sounds refreshing and bracing rather than unpleasantly damp. Also, I was surprised to find that amazing image was a Dali. Except for the random lobster at lower right, it isn't so strange as most from hum. I like it very much. The combination of the poem and the image make it almost storybookish, in the best sense of what that can evoke.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shay. Not an ode to doom and gloom for a change. I blame your spicy sweet list.

      Delete
  4. The moon hits those low jazz blue notes like us it seems. It seem to be there when we need it though. It's the lemon sun on a dark December night.

    ReplyDelete
  5. from the first, amazing couplet, through the tightly woven internal rhyme close, this tart and tasty 55 is everything one could ask for. Galen would have loved it. and the shape itself resembles (to me) a wavy reflection of the moon "thrown down in a puddle". as always, so good to read you ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always glad when you like one of my 55's, M. as I consider you the final arbiter in that field. Thanks for reading, and best of the season to you.

      Delete
    2. back to read this excellent poem on the winter solstice, and to share a find - Indiará Sfair - a blues harmonica player from Brazil. may the lengthening days shine bright for you ~

      Delete
  6. Makes me think of the faintest memory of the Jazzman fished with faint surprise and greatly ebbed feeling from the pocket of an old winter coat. This far away, his one clean note can still delve a smile of from the waning winter moon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well nailed, my friend. Thanks for your insights and thoughts, as always

      Delete
  7. From the most ever delightful title thru December rain in the night ~~~ I inhaled your poem. Feeling quite groovy now.

    ReplyDelete

"We make out of the quarrel with others, rhetoric, out of the quarrel with ourselves, poetry." ~William Butler Yeats

Comment Moderation Has Been Enabled